Thursday, August 30, 2007

Where Oh Where~

Where has the time went? Seems like yesterday we received a phone call that we had been given the gift of adopting Trenton and Christian. We were going to court to actually relinquish guardianship of the boys after having them for over a year. Trent was 2, and Christian was 8 weeks when they came to live with us. Trent had however been with us previously for 6 months, and was returned to his parents, only to be abused over and over again. Lots of praying and I guess pleading with God for them to be safe. Not to mention that I told God...Out of human mommy nature NOT to send them to me again UNLESS I could keep them. So again I was heartbroken KNOWING I would have to give them back. I was mad at God but in the back of my mind I kept saying God I TOLD YOU NOT TO GIVE THEM TO ME AGAIN UNLESS.........................................

The day was so clear it was the day before I had to leave for Michigan to take them back, go to court and give them to their parents. While taking a shower the phone rang, I peeked to see if it was Tom on caller I.D. It was the boys bio mom. I started to ignore it.... Let it ring! She called again, I answered from the shower, (Speaker phone). She asked if I was sitting down, of coarse I wasn't. I was thinking GREAT.... she is pregnant or something. Only half listening to her she asked if we would adopt her boys. Okay....that got my attention... Water turned off and soap on my hair..... I asked WHAT? Making sure I heard her right, She was not comfortable with taking the boys from a safe loving home where they were growing and thriving. Nor was she ready to be responsible ( Although I think that was very mature of her to KNOW she couldn't do it).

So now a million questions were running through my head... What about court.... so on and so on. The CPS worker called me, lawyers were calling me, NOT long after she called me. Mom had asked to be the one to tell me, and then when her attorney knew she had talked to me the phone rang and rang. That day and the rest of the night are still a blur. I didn't have to pack their things up, and give them back but we still had to go to court, just for a different reason. She had been planning this for a bit so everything was set in motion.

I remember sitting in the chair at the stand ( The chair was like an office chair). I was VERY nervous. The court room was full of CASA workers, lawyers, CPS workers and so on. The parents were there, the maternal and paternal family's as well. I was asked questions about the boys and how I felt about them, how I felt about keeping them and loving them as my own. I was overwhelmed and fuzzy headed... ( I was spinning in my chair LITERALLY) After court my son and the CPS worker and Lawyer laughed and said did you realize you were spinning back and forth??? LOL?????? NERVES!

The boys were ours, after our 90 day wait....The parents had time to change their minds. ( 90 days of waiting and worrying) It was official October 10th, 2005!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. I also remember that time in there lives. I do agree that is the ONLY responsible thing she did, but I don't think I should say anymore on that issue. The boys have you & Tom and that is all that matters.
    Love Lizza

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to all your emotions because I went through the same when I adopted my son. He was a newborn and the hospital, social workers, staff treated me so badly and all I was doing was offering him a wonderful life. Thanks to faith and persistence I have a wonderful 8 year old son that is my world. Good for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christal~
    I know it hasn't been the easiest road...but I am glad to know that those boys have love to grow in them because of you and Tom. All my best...and I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I BELIEVE...

    That even when you think you have no more to give,when a friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.

    Thanks for always being..."THAT FRIEND"

    LIZZA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly what a beautiful LOVE story that is...How lucky those two lil boys are to have you as their mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was happy for you as I read this. I have friends who have gone through this. One friend had the baby from birth through 2-years-old and still the courts went with the bio mom. Glad to see your posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you and the boys! You'll never know the magnitude of the difference you've made in their lives...

    ReplyDelete