Tuesday, January 30, 2007

NO Way Mom!

I dont really know why my 4 year old thinks that he is SUDDENLY MY BoSS!
There are days when he is a really great kid... HOWEVER today he has me seeing RED! I know there are alot of things he does that a "typical boy" does BUT..... I really think that God may be trying to teach ME a lesson or two about patience. Something that is not my strong suite.

Today I asked him what he would like for breakfast, he responded COOKIES.... I said no that was not a breakfast choice. I named off cereal, waffles, eggs, oatmeal, toast, poptarts and he says AGAIN ...COOKIES... I should have known then how the day would go. He refused to eat his cereal even after that is what he finally picked. The day has been one chaotic mess. He has went upstairs to his big brothers room and brought down some army men that he has had since he was little, but kept because dad bought them for him while he has been away with the military. Needless to say the men look as though they went through battle. They are missing limbs thanks to Little man with attitude. He has been trowing toys and boldly telling me that he does not have to do what I say.... What am I doing wrong? I thought that I was the mommy. Instead he keeps telling me I said No mom, I dont have to! Your not my boss! HELP!!!!

1 comment:

  1. HELLO! Ok. Here is my advice.. As you know I have a child with ADHD. So this works for me -- give it a try and maybe it will work for you. I believe that you should give children choices and praise the good choices they make. But when I give my son too many choices he becomes overwhelmed..so maybe give a choice like this.... for breakfast, (whatever you REALLY want him to eat... like cereal) Say -- "Its time for breakfast you can have cereal.. do you want corn flakes or coco puffs." You have told him what to eat really...but you have given him only two choices. OR.. you can have oatmeal .. do you want regular or cinn. ?? Then sometimes the choices become different.... like... You can clean up your toys now pelase (you say please because you want them to minic that behavior in you)or you can loose tv time today -- your choice. And then when he starts to pick up the toys.. you say.. GOOD CHOICE!Thank you for picking up! When he chooses NOT to pick up the toys... dont make a big deal out of it.. just say..OH BAD Choice.. you cannot watch TV today. Lets try this again, Pick up your toys NOW PLEASE, Or you will loose your game boy .. or whatever it is he likes to do...When my son was 4 I had a hard time getting him to take a bath.. but what I was doing was giving him an option to say no he didnt want to do it.. but when I rephrased it as... "its bath time, do you want bubbles or no bubbles." Thats what made the difference in the outcome. I know it worked for me. I know that when I get angry now at my son for misbehaving, then I am the one who has allowed it to go too far. So you have to stop it right when it starts. Bounderies! Bounderies! hee hee hee hee. I hope that helps some... Parenting IS HARD! I am still looking of the manual... when I find it I will copy it for you.. hee hee hee hee hee! GLad your back blogging again. Those cookies look GOOD!

    ReplyDelete